Uganda launches Muyembe- Nakapiripirit road project

Uganda launches Muyembe- Nakapiripirit road project

The government of Uganda has launched construction of a road project set to link three East Afrcan countries. President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni performed the launch ceremony.

The Muyembe-Nakapiripirit road project, goes through east and northern Uganda will link Uganda to Kenya, South Sudan and Ethiopia. The road connects the towns of Muyembe in Bulambuli district, to the town of Nakapiripirit.

The project includes upgrading the 92km existing earthen/gravel road between Muyembe and Nakapiripirit towns to asphaltic paved road standard and improve 25km secondary road links to reduce travel time, operational cost and economic losses; increase comfort, safety and reliability during travel; and meet current and future transport demands and help accelerate economic activities by improving access of people to social amenities, market places, business and employment opportunities resulting from improved internal and sub­ regional connectivity and economic growth. The number of road accidents, fatalities, and travel time are expected to reduce by 50% in the year 2025.

Promote trade 

In December 2014, this road was listed as ‘at project preparation’. The parliament authorised the borrowing of US $110 m, representing 86% of the cost, from the Islamic Development Bank (IDB). The government will fund the remaining 14%, amounting to about US $18m. Construction contract was awarded to a Turkish construction company, Polat Yol Yapi Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S and works are expected to commence in early 2021 and concluded in 2023.

“This road project aims to engage in in lucrative trade, and easy movement of goods and services to the country. Our people should also involve themselves in calculative commercialized businesses to increase our exports and utilise such roads,” said President Museveni.

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply